Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Using the Library
- How do I join the library?
- What is a Unique card?
- How many books can I borrow?
- What are the fines for late return of books?
- How do I renew my books online or over the phone?
- How do I reserve a book?
- How do I get a book from another Library?
- How can the Library help me to find material?
- Who is the librarian for my subject?
- How do I search for books online?
- What databases and e-journals do you have?
- What e-books do you have?
- How do I use EndNote?
- What is Library e-Direct?
- How do I set up my Library e-Direct access?
- How do I login?
- Why can’t I access all resources using Library e-Direct?
- Will I need to login individually to every resource?
- Will I have to login every session?
- How do I get help?
- Can I still login using Athens?
- I have seen references to Shibboleth – what does this mean?
- What is the UK Access Management Federation?
- When I logout, why do some resources refer to logout from Athens?
Q.How do I set up my Library e-Direct access?
The first time you want to use e-resources through Library e-Direct you will need to enable your access.
Q.How do I login?
You login by selecting any resource marked Library e-Direct on the e-resources A-Z list. A login window will appear. Use the login details that you have created when setting up your account. See ‘How do I set up my Library e-Direct access?’
You will only need to login to the first resource you access during any one session.
Q. Why can’t I access all resources using Library e-Direct?
Some information providers have not yet adopted the new technology and access management system required for Library e-Direct access. However an increasing number of information providers are changing over to this new approach worldwide. In the meantime access to these remaining services is available via individual passwords. Please ask for details at Library Enquiry Desks.
Q. Will I need to login individually to every resource?
No. Once you have logged in to one resource, no further authentication will be necessary for that session.
Q. Will I have to login every session?
You can move from one resource to another without logging in again, but once the browser session has ended, you will need to login again.
Q. How do I get help?
Please email the support team at .
Q. I have seen references to shibboleth – what does this mean?
Shibboleth is the new technology that is being used by Library e-Direct. Shibboleth is an open source and open standards method of enabling institutions to manage authentication whilst service providers deal with authorisation. University of West London can authenticate individuals and then pass the information about them to service providers whilst maintaining complete privacy for the individual. Service providers will use the information provided by University of West London to authorise access as appropriate.
Q.What is the UK Access Management Federation?
Membership of the UK Access Federation allows institutions to use Shibboleth technology to provide single sign on access to e-resources. Service providers know that they can rely on the authentication provided by member institutions. You will see the UK Access Management Federation name appears on the page providing the drop down menu ‘Where are You From?’.
Q.When I logout, why do some resources refer to logout from Athens?
This is because some resources are available via the Shibboleth-Athens gateway, and the information service is giving an incorrect message because it assumes you have logged in via Athens.